Roll Call:†† Members
present were: Sandra Hash,
President, Terry Baker, Vice President,
Approval of the Minutes
Sandra Hash entertained a motion
to approve the minutes from
Request for new communication tower on
West SR 46 (
Frank Nierzwicki- Discussed items in the agenda packet.† Confirmation from Paul Dugan of payment, and all agreements and compliance issues completed.† No further action is required on our part.
Rezoning parcels within the Heritage Redevelopment Area-discussion
Sandra Hash- Sandra thanked Frank for providing a time line for the rezoning process.
Frank Nierzwicki- Frank discussed the time line and the dates of the
current rezoning process for 2007 and then proceeded to discuss the 2008 time
Sandra Hash- Whoís preparing the impact study?†
Frank Nierzwicki- We will conduct the impact study in house.
Sandra Hash- Who will assist you with that?
Frank Nierzwicki- It will be the three of us.† We would be happy to have a couple of other people assist us on this project.†
Sandra Hash- Do you have a formula?
Frank Nierzwicki- We have a cook book on how to follow the steps.† We will have to have the assessed value of
all of the parcels.† We have a lot of
this information that we compiled last year.†
We have approximately 114 parcels. Any delays in the process will
require us to wait until after
Sandra Hash- We have met and we both agree that this will go for
a final reading and adoption with the
Carl Thurman- I have a tentative agreement on purchasing a property downtown, but now there is a delay with the zoning changes.† Before I purchase the real estate, I want to be clear on what I can do with the building, especially when I want to sell the property in the future, and how these changes will affect me now and in the future.
Frank Nierzwicki- We will schedule a meeting with you to discuss the variances on this property.†
Dan Swafford- Is the current property you are looking at currently zoned correct?
Carl Thurman- Yes, if it were to be left alone as it is, it would be a beautiful thing.† The zoning change will affect the whole deal.†
Dan Swafford- I missed the meetings and the work sessions, but I thought we had come to an agreement, and I didnít know they had to file a variance.† I thought we were going to leave the C3 alone at this location.
Frank Nierzwicki- We would have a grandfather clause.
Dan Swafford- As long as it stays a gas station, no matter how many owners it stays C3, which was my understanding, which makes a lot of sense to me.†
Frank Nierzwicki- Iíll go through a variance again, it allows different uses above what it is zoned for the plan.† The variance is negotiated between the applicant and staff to present to the BZA board.† The issue is the types of uses.† It isnít the person we are concerned about it is actually the property itself and I have a lot of confidence that Carlís business will be an added value to the downtown, but what we donít know is, if the zoning remains a C3, Carl could sell it in the future, thinking it will be the same type of operation and that may or may not happen.† We are trying to protect the town by having conditions set on that property with a variance.†
Carl Thurman- That is hard for me to do, because Iím not the owner of the property.† It isnít a closed deal yet, I want to close the deal, but until Iím assured I can run an up-scale collision repair shop I canít purchase the property.
Frank Nierzwicki- I understand, and Iíve been trying to work to get this done as quickly as possible.† We should have a decision by the 8th of May.
Sandra Hash- But you canít make any guarantees?
Frank Nierzwicki- I canít guarantee what the decision will be.
Don Calvert- You want a guarantee that if and when you decide to sell the property you want to be able to sell it as a C3.†
Carl Thurman- Yes, exactly.
Frank Nierzwicki- This is a transitional period between Carl and the current owner.† What we plan to do with rezoning the property is it would be a C2 with a variance. †Carl would be able to do more than a typical C2 with the property.† So, my job is to work with Carl and work out that arrangement in between.†
Don Calvert- My question is, once he decides to sell, can he sell it as an automotive restoration business?
Frank Nierzwicki- He can with a variance.† He can sell the business with the stipulations of the variance.† The stipulations stay with the property.
Carl Thurman- But if I lose the C3 zoning I have diminished value, it hurts my investment.
Don Calvert- Didnít you say you want to sell the business as another body shop?
Carl Thurman- Thatís what I would like to do.
Terry Baker- The value should not change, because you can still keep the body shop there.† If the variance ended when you go out, then the bottom would fall out of the price.† But, the variance will stay with the property, so when you sell it, someone else will do the same, with the same stipulations.
Carl Thurman- If my business fails and closes, then I have a business that I would much rather sell as a C3 than a C2 with a variance.
Frank Nierzwicki- As this is redeveloped; the land could have an increased value.†
Carl Thurman- I think the types of businesses you want to attract to the downtown have to be taken into consideration, because it is a flood plain.
Frank Nierzwicki- Thatís why we are looking at having trails and green spaces downtown.† The one thing from a business perspective is that we have businesses come in one at a time, and then they go out one at a time.† The idea of someone developing this area at the same time, so there would be more than one place to shop, thatís what we are looking at with the rezone.†
Carl Thurman- But the type of the businesses you are trying to attract, Iím not trying to discredit those types of businesses, would be in a flood plain.† A C3 zoning complements that area for industrial use, done tastefully.† An industrial business could recover more quickly from flood damages.
Frank Nierzwicki- We donít want industrial uses back in the downtown area,
which is what we are trying to get away from.†
The Turning Point Church is one example, it isnít an easy process but
they worked with the
Carl Thurman- But to do that you have to demolish a 100 year old building to build something on the parcel we are talking about, it has historic value.† I donít want to take away from your plan; I just donít want to lose the C3 classification. I have to move forward with my business growing and I would like it to be in downtown Ellettsville.
Sandra Hash- We thank you for your thoughts, and hopefully the
variance will work for both concerned parties.†
No vote will happen tonight.† So,
you will meet with Frank to understand the variances.† I talked with
Frank Nierzwicki- Iíll have to talk with David.† We arenít trying to hurt businesses, but increase values with redevelopment.† Iíll have Connie set up a meeting with David.†
Frank Nierzwicki- We canít guarantee it, it would be difficult to change, this has taken a year, and nothing can be rushed through.
Sandra Hash- On the timeline there isnít an adoption of the zoning change, where does that come in or when did that occur?
Frank Nierzwicki- This is a redevelopment issue, approved on
Russ Ryle- One general comment; it seems to me with the stroke of a pen they can take value from the property owner without paying them for it.† The property in question, this property is the oldest historic property in the redevelopment area.† He discussed the propertyís history as an automotive type business.† Canít you modify the plans to leave this property a C3?† Weíve modified and exempted one business already and took it out of the redevelopment area, some other issues have been addressed, and the C2 has been tweaked a bit.† If the business gets on the historic register, then you will have to deal with some federal requirements.† We have a gentleman willing to develop and grow in the redevelopment area; I would be saddened if Carl canít proceed with his purchase.† We need to use what we have in front of us first.† You have a business man willing to go into business, and Iím puzzled why we are fighting a planning document, and at times I think they outlive their usefulness.† †
Russ Ryle- We need another zone, where we address adult business and businesses that could be injurious to residents.† We donít need to penalize current business people because of existing zoning with restrictions.
Frank Nierzwicki- Iím not against having a downtown overlay, it will take a lot of time no matter what we do, and we will always have people that like some zones, and not others.†
Russ Ryle- We need to fine tune what we have and control businesses that you donít want to have next door.†
Frank Nierzwicki- The variance is the means of working with these issues.
Sandra Hash- When the planning department originally presented
this, the current owner was grandfathered for as long as they owned the
property they could maintain the business.†
We compromised with the
Terry Baker- If we start fine tuning the ordinance, we could get to the point that he canít have a business like that in that area, because he uses chemicals and things.† So, if you eliminate and make it so tight, it will be a nightmare.† It will hurt them more, than if we do it with a variance.† †
Don Calvert- A question to Carl Thurman, if this does not stay a C3, are you not interested in purchasing the property.
Carl Thurman- That is exactly correct.
Evelyn Ryle- One of the things that didnít help the process is the lack of understanding of what is an overlay? And what can and be done with an overlay?† A lot of the explanations were more couched in bureaucratic terms even at work sessions, and for the everyday person, is lost to them, and I think that needs to be addressed.† I myself do not understand the limits of a variance or an overlay, and amendments in the heritage district or historic districts, what you can and canít be proposed.† In the long run, it would have helped, no matter how time intensive it would have been, to forestall other problems that have been brought up.† I also think it would have been useful at the beginning of this process to contact owners of the property to notify these people, they donít read or buy every paper and to explain it in simple language.†
Frank Nierzwicki- Discussed the need for a community development planner.† This person would help with a number of items, such as education.† We are trying to do the best we can.†
Don Calvert- One of the major goals with the redevelopment handout was to draw business and create jobs in the downtown area.† Time is money, and weíve got someone in front of us right now that wants to invest in the community, and we are making it difficult on them, the plan is making it difficult.† Any plan has to be modified or adjusted and it has to be a living document.† Again, I canít believe the patience that Carl has shown.† I donít think we need to discourage someone of this caliber with the document.†
Sandra Hash- This has been a difficult issue; I wish we had an easy solution.† This was a discussion, and hopefully things are a bit clearer.† Both concerned parties need to meet with Frank to develop a better understanding before the final vote.† Weíve all expressed our opinions for the night and we can move on to the next item.†
Storm water functions Ė
Frank Nierzwicki- In the packet you have a memo from
Sandra Hash- Iím sure there needs to be some public education, thank you for the information.†
Planning Staff Comments
†New Office Space
Frank Nierzwicki- We are now open in our new office, and have an open house scheduled for April 11 from to .† He discussed handicap parking and the doorbell to be installed.
I-69 Community Planning Grant (Status Report)
Frank Nierzwicki- We have a letter from INDOT, which awarded the Town of
Sandra Hash- Made some changes to the job descriptions, strike the word ability to hire, and I have an opinion on the exempt employee status, but I will talk with you separately about that.† On the draft for the community development planner, I donít envision this person conducting inspections or assisting with enforcement, my point is keeping the tasks to the best utilization of the part-time position.
Phill Smith- Do you need action on this?† Iíve found with my weekly meetings with the
Planning Department is that two people canít get all this work done.† I would like to make a recommendation, as a
planning commission, to make the administrative assistant position full-time
and suggest that we hire a part-time planner.†
Dan Swafford- And this is a grant funded position , right?
Frank Nierzwicki- Yes.
Dan Swafford- And if we lose the grant, we lose the position.
Sandra Hash- Have you figured a pay scale for this?
Frank Nierzwicki- Not yet.
Rental Ordinance Study Committee
Frank Nierzwicki- Update on Micah Austin, he is leaving to go to
Privilege of the Floor
Bruce Frey- Autumn Ridge Condos, speaking for them, we want some
assistance.† He read a petition about the
development area.† The petition discussed
damage to the asphalt area and potentially an inadequate pavement.† The town of
Sandra Hash- We have a short window on the bond, so weíll have to move on this rather quickly.†
Dan Swafford- Who is the developer?
Sandra Hash- Are there any other comments?
Hash entertained a motion to adjourn.† Terry
Baker made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Dan Swafford.† All in favor motioned carried.† Meeting adjourned at †Next meeting