December 1, 2003 Park and Recreation Board Meeting Minutes
The Ellettsville Parks and Recreation Board met on Monday, December 1st, 2003 at the Ellettsville Town Hall. Members present were Darlyne Sowder - President, Denise Knell Edwin Macatangay and Jeff Frownfelter - Secretary. Darlyne Sowder called the meeting to order at 7:03 PM.
Minutes from Previous Meetings
Denise Knell motioned to accept the minutes from the November 3rd, 2003 Meeting. Edwin Macatangay seconded the motion. Minutes approved 4-0.
Floor Open for Public Comment No public Comment.
Jeff Frownfelter has completed Pat Stoffers term for the Parks Board. He is to let the Board and Town Council know about renewing his term.
5 Year Master Plan
General comments were made on the Master Plan which was developed by Ball State for the Town of Ellettsville. A thorough review of the Master Plan occupied the Parks Board members for most of the meeting. Several notations were placed in the Parks Board president’s copy of the plan. L.D. Axsom was not present at the meeting but forwarded these general comments:
• No mention of golf cart paths and would like some inclusion of these items as possible proposals for the five year plan.
• In the area between Vine Street and Jack’s Defeat Creek he is concerned about the flooding and that the area not be used for housing or business.
Other majors questions and concerns were noted:
• The inclusion of Brown County as a connecting recreational resource. The connection is sketchy in the plan, not consistent, and somewhat unclear in it’s intent.
• The exclusion of Owen County resources, including White River, McCormick’s Creek State Park and some other State Forest Properties.
• No mention of possibility of rail trail to Stinesville using existing abandoned line.
• Question on how some items have become priorities based on questionnaire feedback and other points presented in the plan.
• Some changes in the town properties (such as the Elementary Schools) has changed and those differences now need to be accounted for.
Darlyne Sowder asked about dates for a possible visit from Professor Segedy. She also will send fixes (many wording and factual changes). Would also like some information on what the next steps would be for obtaining grants. Various members will look into obtaining other samples of 5 year master plans for comparison. Overall, the satisfaction of the Parks Board concerning the final product of the Master plan was minimal.
Roof was completed on the Skate Park Rest Room facillity. Final plumbing and finishing expected to be completed in early spring.
Wishing Well Nature Park None
Memorial Park None
Basketball court None
Campbells Park None
The meeting was moved to adjourn by Denise Knell and seconded by Edwin Macatangay. All members voted to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 9:20 PM. Motion carried 4-0.
Darlyne Sowder - President Edwin Macatangay - Vice President
L.D. Axsom - Member Jeff Frownfelter - Secretary
Denise Knell – Member