February 1, 2010 Ellettsville Parks and Recreation Board Meeting Minutes

 

The Ellettsville Parks and Recreation Board met on Monday, February 1, 2010 at the Fire Department Training and Conference Center. Jimmie Durnil called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. with the Pledge of Allegiance. Members present were Jimmie Durnil, President; Richard Pease, Vice-President; Amber Ragle, Secretary; and Geraldine McIntyre.  Michael Griffey was absent.

 

Approve Minutes of January 4, 2010

Richard Pease made a motion to approve the minutes of the January 4, 2010 meeting.  Geraldine McIntyre seconded.  Motion carried.

 

Review Accounts Payable Expenditures

Amber Ragle reviewed the expenditures for January.

 

New Business

Connie Griffin, Planning Director presented a draft of a Five Year Master Plan for Parks and Recreation.  She explained this is just the beginning efforts of this document.  There will be many additions, subtractions and changes.  She asked for goals and objectives for this document.  She also asked for a dedication or protection of the Wells Park site area.  As part of the I69 Grant deliverables she discussed on the Community Development Grant, one of the contractual agreements was to try to protect the Wells Park area with an actual classification with the Department of Natural Resources (DNR).  But, because the Wells Park area is so small, it would not qualify for that type of protection with the DNR.  She asked the Board to consider some form of a dedication or protection the Town could have and possibly an ordinance to protect that.  She reviewed the highlights of the Master Plan presented to the Board.  She focused on the timeline presented in the Plan in section 1.5 and stressed the need for the deliverables to be presented to the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) by June 14, 2010.  She then brought the Board’s attention to the goals and objectives listed in chapter 5.  Jimmie Durnil asked what type of funds they were discussing.  Connie Griffin responded if this could be approved through the DNR, we could open ourselves up for federal funding which could be $250,000 or so with a Community Development Block Grant or maybe a 319 DNR Grant.  She reported she does not know exactly how much money at this point.  Jimmie Durnil expressed his concern that once we do a lot of work on the parks, how is it kept that way.  We fight vandalism from April to October, so that would be a concern he has.  Other members of the Board expressed concern over vandalism as well.  Connie Griffin mentioned methods to deter vandalism such as more lighting – even solar lighting from dusk till dawn.  Geraldine McIntyre stated the Town needs a Community Center as well.  Connie Griffin went on to ask the Board to email her some of their goals.  Geraldine McIntyre asked Connie Griffin if new developments are still dedicating green space for park areas and Connie Griffin responded they are not.  However, the Planning Department needs to make sure when they have a new development that wants to come in, that we see their plans for the green space because it is in code that they provide that space.  Jimmie Durnil clarified with Connie Griffin that there needed to be a public hearing at the March 1 meeting.  She affirmed that was so and that she would advertise that meeting.  Connie Griffin will work with Amber Ragle to get the public hearing set up.  Amber Ragle asked Connie Griffin what she needed from the Board regarding the ordinance for the Wells Park area.  Connie Griffin responded she would like to take that all the way to the ordinance level with the Town Council.

 

Amber Ragle reported coke machine proceeds of $38.  She also reported five shelter house rentals for the upcoming season.

 

Adjournment

Jimmie Durnil adjourned the meeting.

 

 

________________________                                    ______________________________

 Jimmie Durnil - President                                             Richard Pease – Vice President

________________________                                    ______________________________

Michael Griffey – Member                                            Geraldine McIntyre – Member

________________________

Amber Ragle – Secretary