The Ellettsville Parks and Recreation Board met on Monday, July 7, 2008 at the Fire Department Training and Conference Center. Jimmie Durnil called the meeting to order at 5:30 pm and led the Pledge of Allegiance. Members present were Jimmie Durnil, President; Geraldine McIntyre, Vice-President; Amber Ragle and Richard Pease. Michael Griffey was absent.

 

Approve Minutes of June 2, 2008

Geraldine McIntyre made a motion to approve the minutes. Richard Pease seconded. Motion carried.

 

Review Accounts Payable Expenditures

Amber Ragle stated the part-time laborer was paid along with the corresponding quarterly taxes. A lady was given half of her shelter house rental fee back due to the fact the part-time employee did not report to work and she was left with no electricity and full trashcans. Materials were bought for the basketball goals and the shelter houses at Campbellís Park.

 

New Business

Jimmie Durnil received an e-mail from Tony Bowlen informing the Parkís Board someone tried setting fire to one of the shelter houses. Amber went on to add an off duty fireman was attending a function at another shelter house and saw some kids light a stuffed animal on fire and throw it into the rafters across the street in the Campbellís Park shelter house. The fireman got the stuffed animal down, detained the kids and called the police. Tony is asking for direction on how to handle the situation. Jimmie will talk to Tony and discuss the options.

 

Amber Ragle received a phone call from a gentleman requesting to use the basketball courts for a 3 on 3 Tournament in July. Amber informed him he needed to approach the Parkís Board and present his idea. Jimmie advised Amber to get more information; all day, security needed, etc. Amber feels a deposit will be needed for any possible damage. The Street Department replaced all the basketball backboards with plywood.

 

2009 Budget

Amber stated the numbers show the Parkís Board is in good shape. She asked if there were any changes the Board would like to make. The revenue for the Parkís Department comes from part of the property tax payout, portion of the FIT tax, excise license tax and commercial vehicle excise tax. A little money comes from the shelter house rentals. Amber explained the budget will project what we spend and make it work to collect enough to cover the expenses. The Parkís Board has not spent more then they collected and have been able to build up a cash balance. Geraldine McIntyre suggested buying park equipment or having an ice cream social in August. Jimmie would like to find some playground equipment that wonít be broken. Amber informed the Board that Sandra Hash will start meeting with Council Members and supervisors the end of July to review budgets. Jimmie does not have any changes to make to the budget.

 

Adjournment

Geraldine McIntyre made a motion to adjourn. Richard Pease seconded. Motion carried.††