The Ellettsville Parks and Recreation Board met on September 4, 2007 at the Fire Department Training and Conference Center.Members present were Geraldine McIntyre, Vice-President; Michael Griffey, Jimmie Durnil and Amber Ragle. Brett Williamson was absent.Geraldine McIntyre called the meeting to order.

 

Approve Minutes of August 6, 2007

Jimmie Durnil moved approval as indicated by our copy before us. Michael Griffey seconded.Motion carried.

 

Review Accounts Payable Expenditures

Amber Ragle stated in August following bills were paid:the restroom door $1991.00; sales tax on a Shelter House rental $2.83 and the electric bills.

 

Old Business

Jimmie Durnil commented on the gateway flowers looking nice in spite of the drought we are having.

 

Michael Griffey asked if anything needs to be done for the upcoming Fall Festival.Amber suggested replacing the flags at the islands and Memorial Park before September 11th.†† Geraldine asked Amber to look into pricing but it was discussed to make a motion tonight because of the time restraint.

 

Michael Griffey made a motion to buy the flags and have the Street Department put them up.Jimmie Durnil seconded.Motion carried.

 

Jimmie Durnil stated Brett Williamsonís status on the Board needs to be checked in to.The Town Council will need to find a replacement if Brett will not be returning.Jimmie asked Amber to look into this and inform the Board.Michael Griffey will talk to Brett and let Amber know.Amber stated a letter of resignation from Brett is needed for the file if he does not plan on returning.

 

New Business

Geraldine McIntyre opened the floor for discussion on a new part time laborer for Parks and Recreation.Jimmie Durnil and Jim Ragle put together a job description.Jimmie Durnil explained the job opening was approved at the last meeting.The job description lists the responsibilities and will be under the supervision of the Street Department.

 

Jimmie Durnil moved to post the job using the written job description.Geraldine McIntyre seconded.†† Motion carried.

 

Geraldine McIntyre informed the Board about the damage that was done to the basketball courts.The Town is growing and would like somewhere for people to be able to play basketball.What is the feeling of the Board members on this situation; should we put up the expense to replace the damaged backboards.Amber stated three basketball backboards were totally destroyed and two of the three that were left have holes in them; it will be a matter of time before those shatter and are not useable.Michael Griffey said the backboards cost about $1,000 a piece.Michael further explained this is not the first time this has happened but it is the first time to this extent.The Street Department replaced some of the backboards, in the past, using Plexiglas.Amber spoke with Jim Ragle who suggested using Plexiglas or plywood to repair them because they keep getting torn up.The Plexiglas costs a few hundred dollars per back board.Geraldine asked if the police patrol that area.Amber saw Officer Bohall arresting someone this past weekend.Jimmie said the library is complaining about the kids acting up and being loud.Michael suggested having a police officer use the Street Department as a stake out facility.There is always something happening either to the basketball goals, Shelter House or restrooms.Michael feels if one kid is arrested and used as an example, it might deter the others.Amber received a surveillance equipment catalog in the mail and spoke with Dan, Town Council President; he was all for putting up some type of video surveillance.Jimmie is all for this to make a point but recommended having Jim Ragle repair two of basketball hoops, with plywood, and see what happens.If they continue to be damaged, then we will take other action.Michael asked if there are steel backboards available.He pointed out the damaged backboards could be weak, fall on someone and that would not be good.He suggested taking them all down.Jimmie would like two back boards left up to play on.It was decided to leave the one, undamaged, back board up and see what happens.In the mean time the Fall Festival commercial tent will be utilizing the courts and then it will be late in the season.During this time, the Board could research the different options.Jimmie will speak with Don Kinser regarding video surveillance.

 

Amber Ragle announced $18 was received for Coke machine proceeds.

 

Geraldine McIntyre clarified the new doors will keep people from vandalizing the restrooms.She suggested, as a Park Board, having community activities such as a Chili Cook-off and music played at the Shelter House.A committee will be discussed at the next meeting.

 

The meeting was moved to adjourn by Michael Griffey and seconded by Amber Ragle. Motion carried.